After a year characterised by a lot of negatives (abuse of power, harassment, terrorism, destructive threats, bullying, divisiveness, blatant racism, childishness, foul-mouthed behaviour and downright stupidity), I believe brands would be well served to rise above all the nonsense and do some serious good this year.
So here are my tips:
1) Listen for understanding of what people really need and reach out to others for their input … only fools think they know everything
2) Think before you act and certainly before you talk … focus on sparking smiles instead of debate or ill will
3) Don’t abuse and bad mouth your competition, just study them and do a better job
4) Don’t be full of yourself. If you find yourself saying ‘I’ or ‘We’ all the time in your communications, perhaps it’s time to start thinking and writing from your customers’ point of view
5) Be about doing positive things for people … brands (and the businesses behind them) need to be a force for good.
At the end of 2018, I hope we’ll all look back on it as the year we filled with positive vibes.